Sports Awards 2018
Haslemere Hall – Wednesday 19th September 2018 – 7.30pm
Guest speakers and refreshments
The purpose of these awards is to acknowledge outstanding performance or standards of service within Haslemere and the surrounding villages and to applaud and embrace the thriving Haslemere sporting community. Nominations can be made by any bona fide individual, club or organisation affiliated to Sport Haslemere and applications are welcome for more than one of the categories.
Full details on how to apply are to be found on http://surreysportsawards.activesurrey.com/award-details/sport-haslemere-awards-2018 or use the enclosed nomination form.
The qualification period for all categories, other than Special services to Sport, covers one full year from 1st September 2017 until 31st August 2018.
The deadline for applications will be 9th September 2018.
An adjudicating panel will assess the nominations and the awards will be presented at the Sport Haslemere Awards on Wednesday 19th September 2018. Award winners will receive an appropriate trophy (to hold for one year) as well as a perpetual memento. A photographer will be on hand to take photographs which will appear in the local papers.
Winners of each of the categories will have the opportunity of being put forward for the Active Surrey Sports Awards 2018.
So, is there that special person in your club or school? Is there someone you totally rely on? Is there someone you could not do without? Is there someone who has performed out of their skin?
If the answer to any of the above is yes, then don’t miss the opportunity of giving them a pat on the back, a thank you, a minute in the spotlight – fill in the form now.
The 2018 Sports Awards are now complete and the winners were:
Sporting Impact in Schools – Haslemere Tennis Club Volunteer Group
Sports Team of the Year – Grayswood Cricket Club 1st XI
Junior Sports Team of the Year – Grayshott Football Club under 12’s
Sports Award for the Disabled – Tessa Watkiss from Frensham Sailability
Young Coach of the Year – Raveen Sriharan from Grayshott Cricket Club
Sports Coach of the Year – Duncan Willows from Grayshott Cricket Club
Sport Initiative – Stephen Marshall from Hindhead Cricket Club
Sports Club of the Year – Grayshott Tennis Club
Junior Sports Personality – Jake and Johnny Thompson from Frensham Sailabilty
Special Services to Sport – Steve Benbough from Chiddingfold Cricket Club
Sports Personality of the Year – Chris Shipley from Borders Athletic Club
The 2019 awards will be held at Haslemere Hall on Wed 9th October 2019 and further details will appear here in due course
CREATE A STAR
Sponsoring young sportspeople with international potential
Create a Star is an award scheme to assist youngsters who have international potential in their chosen sport. The scheme provides an annual bursary of £500 each. Ten bursaries are available each year and applicants must either live in the 01428 telephone area, attend a school in the same area or be a member of a club in that area.
Nominate a young sportsperson
Applications must be received by 31st July and forms are available from Chris Grimes at email@example.com or by calling him on 01428 607176. Applications are considered by an independent panel and £500 bursaries will be awarded at the Sports Awards evening on Wednesday 19th September 2018.
2018 BURSARY AWARDS WINNERS – Someone in your club or school could be in the 2019 list and be £500 richer!
- Georgia Statham aged 23 a rower winning the gold medal representing Great Britain at the World University Championships in August
- Luke van Oudtshoorn aged 16 a runner and triathlon specialist winning the gold medal in the aquathlon event at the UK school games earlier this month
- Jake Thompson aged 14 a junior sailor training for the team GB junior euro’s in France 2019
- Alistair Wheble aged 15 a wicket keeper batsman playing 1st XI cricket in division 1 of the local I’Anson cricket league
- Cerys McIntosh aged 16 a trampoline gymnast with Edgbarrow Trampoline Club and current league 3 national champion.
- Alex Cant aged aged 16 a lacrosse player selected for the GB World Cup training squad
- Ross Thompson aged 18 a dinghy sailor representing the British Youth Sailing Team in mixed gender crews
- Rebecca Swift aged 16 a sprint and marathon kayak champion recently selected to represent GB at the French National Championships
- Johnny Thompson aged 16 a dinghy sailor representing GB at under 17 level
- George Houghton 20 a tennis player currently at Loughborough University and representing GB in University tennis tournaments.
2017 BURSARY AWARDS WINNERS
- Luke van Outsthoorn – Running, swimming. British Modern Biathlon.
- Johnny Thompson – Sailing. Optimist class. Frensham & Royal Lymington SC.
- Rebecca Swift – Kayak sprinting.
- Jake Thompson – Sailing. Optimist and cadet class. Frensham SC.
- George Houghton – Hampshire tennis.
- Alistair Wheble – Cricket. Grayshot CC and Hampshire.
- Ross Thompson – Sailing. 420 class. Team GB for the world championships.
- Jodie Burrage – Tennis. GB international.
- Cerys McIntosh – Trampolining.