Sports Awards 2020
Haslemere Hall – Wednesday 14th October 2020 – 7.30pm
Guest speakers and refreshments
The purpose of these awards is to acknowledge outstanding performance or standards of service within Haslemere and the surrounding villages and to applaud and embrace the thriving Haslemere sporting community. Nominations can be made by any bona fide individual, club or organisation affiliated to Sport Haslemere and applications are welcome for more than one of the categories.
Full details on how to apply are to be found on the enclosed nomination form.
The qualification period for all categories, other than Special services to Sport, covers one full year from 1st September 2019 until 31st August 2020.
The deadline for applications will be 14th September 2020.
An adjudicating panel will assess the nominations and the awards will be presented at the Sport Haslemere Awards on Wednesday 14th October 2020. Award winners will receive an appropriate trophy (to hold for one year) as well as a perpetual memento. A photographer will be on hand to take photographs which will appear in the local papers.
Winners of each of the categories will have the opportunity of being put forward for the Active Surrey Sports Awards 2020.
So, is there that special person in your club or school? Is there someone you totally rely on? Is there someone you could not do without? Is there someone who has performed out of their skin?
If the answer to any of the above is yes, then don’t miss the opportunity of giving them a pat on the back, a thank you, a minute in the spotlight – fill in the form now.
The 2019 Sports Awards are now complete and the winners were:
School Initiative Award – Camelsdale School
Sports Team of the Year – Chiddingfold Ladies Cricket X1
Junior Sports Team of the Year – Beacon Hill Junior Football Club Under 9’s Jets
Sports Award for the Disabled – Steve Wooding of Frensham Pond Sailability
Young Volunteer of the Year – Lily Henderson of Frensham Pond Sailability
Young Coach of the Year – Alfie Garrod of JK Coaching
Sporting Impact in Schools – Camelsdale School
Sports Coach of the Year – Andrew Howard of Haslemere Hockey Club
Sport Initiative – Lynn Joyce of Swallows Trampoline Club
Sports Club of the Year – Bugs Netball Club
Junior Sports Personality – Lucas Hutchinson of Grayshott Cricket Club
Special Services to Sport – Kate Brooks of Fernhurst Football Club
Sports Personality of the Year – Jake Kennett of JK Coaching
The 2018 Sports Awards winners were:
Sporting Impact in Schools – Haslemere Tennis Club Volunteer Group
Sports Team of the Year – Grayswood Cricket Club 1st XI
Junior Sports Team of the Year – Grayshott Football Club under 12’s
Sports Award for the Disabled – Tessa Watkiss from Frensham Sailability
Young Coach of the Year – Raveen Sriharan from Grayshott Cricket Club
Sports Coach of the Year – Duncan Willows from Grayshott Cricket Club
Sport Initiative – Stephen Marshall from Hindhead Cricket Club
Sports Club of the Year – Grayshott Tennis Club
Junior Sports Personality – Jake and Johnny Thompson from Frensham Sailabilty
Special Services to Sport – Steve Benbough from Chiddingfold Cricket Club
Sports Personality of the Year – Chris Shipley from Borders Athletic Club
CREATE A STAR
Sponsoring young sportspeople with international potential
Create a Star is an award scheme to assist youngsters who have international potential in their chosen sport. The scheme provides an annual bursary of £500 each. Ten bursaries are available each year and applicants must either live in the 01428 telephone area, attend a school in the same area or be a member of a club in that area.
Nominate a young sportsperson
Applications must be received by 31st July and forms are available from Chris Grimes at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling him on 01428 607176. Applications are considered by an independent panel and £500 bursaries will be awarded at the Sports Awards evening on Wednesday 14th October 2020.
2019 BURSARY AWARDS WINNERS – Someone in your club or school could be in the 2020 list and be £500 richer!
- Cerys McIntosh – aged 18 a trampoline gymnast with Edgbarrow Trampoline Club
- Luke van Oudtshoorn – aged 17 a runner and triathlon specialist
- Kate Cudbertson – aged 15 a hockey player with Haslemere Hockey Club
- Millie Cant– aged 15 a hockey player living in Haslemere
- Lucas Ayres – aged 11 a trampolinist with Swallows Trampoline Club
- Alistair Wheble – aged 16 a wicket keeper batsman from Grayshott Cricket Club
- Alex Cant – aged 17 a lacrosse player living in Haslemere
- Ross Thompson – aged 19 a dinghy sailor with Frensham Ponds sailability
- Johnny Thompson – aged 17 a dinghy sailor representing with Frensham Ponds Sailability
- George Houghton – aged 21 a tennis player living locally but currently at Loughborough University.
2018 BURSARY AWARDS WINNERS
- Georgia Statham aged 23 a rower winning the gold medal representing Great Britain at the World University Championships in August
- Luke van Oudtshoorn aged 16 a runner and triathlon specialist winning the gold medal in the aquathlon event at the UK school games earlier this month
- Jake Thompson aged 14 a junior sailor training for the team GB junior euro’s in France 2019
- Alistair Wheble aged 15 a wicket keeper batsman playing 1st XI cricket in division 1 of the local I’Anson cricket league
- Cerys McIntosh aged 16 a trampoline gymnast with Edgbarrow Trampoline Club and current league 3 national champion.
- Alex Cant aged aged 16 a lacrosse player selected for the GB World Cup training squad
- Ross Thompson aged 18 a dinghy sailor representing the British Youth Sailing Team in mixed gender crews
- Rebecca Swift aged 16 a sprint and marathon kayak champion recently selected to represent GB at the French National Championships
- Johnny Thompson aged 16 a dinghy sailor representing GB at under 17 level
- George Houghton 20 a tennis player currently at Loughborough University and representing GB in University tennis tournaments.
2017 BURSARY AWARDS WINNERS
- Luke van Outsthoorn – Running, swimming. British Modern Biathlon.
- Johnny Thompson – Sailing. Optimist class. Frensham & Royal Lymington SC.
- Rebecca Swift – Kayak sprinting.
- Jake Thompson – Sailing. Optimist and cadet class. Frensham SC.
- George Houghton – Hampshire tennis.
- Alistair Wheble – Cricket. Grayshot CC and Hampshire.
- Ross Thompson – Sailing. 420 class. Team GB for the world championships.
- Jodie Burrage – Tennis. GB international.
- Cerys McIntosh – Trampolining.